- NUMMI auto manufacturing plant: The imminent closing of the New United Motors Manufacturing plant (NUMMI) is fast approaching the March 2010 shut down date. This successful joint venture with Toyota and General Motors, a mainstay of manufacturing in Fremont for nearly 25 years, is coming to an end with the dissolution of the partnership because of GM’s bankruptcy issues. Since the prospect of other car manufacturers using the plant have failed, alternative uses have been explored by the City of Fremont and others. To date, no viable plans have solidified.
- Oakland Athletics: In 2008, Fremont was also in the news as a contender for a new baseball stadium for the Athletics, currently in Oakland. The site originally proposed at the south end of the Pacific Commons shopping center at Highway 880 and Auto Mall Parkway was defeated by strong opposition from retailers in the center. Additional sites were also defeated by residents on the east side of Highway 880.
Turn of Events:
- There is now a revived interest in reconsidering Fremont for a new, 36,000-seat stadium at the soon to be vacated NUMMI plant location. The proposed stadium complex would be within walking distance of the new BART stop which will be completed in 2014.
A major sports arena has a big impact on any community, both positive and negative. Here are some thoughts in both directions.
- Boosts local economy by providing hundreds of new job opportunities during construction and beyond.
- Brings in needed revenue to Fremont city coffers
- Stimulates businesses around new facility
- Spawns new business and employment as a result of the new baseball stadium
- Is a ‘feather in the cap’ for any city to have a major league sports stadium
- Traffic will increase on game days
- Crime may increase
- Additional costs to city for clean up, security and police
- Funding of stadium still not resolved: private vs. public funding
- If the stadium is not successful in increasing attendance for the Athletics, what will happen to the facility?
What is your ‘take ‘on a major sports arena in Fremont?